Adult Kung Fu
Our kung fu class is based on traditional Shaolin teachings and methods, but designed to be fun and also to contain a great workout. The class incorporates basic flexibility training, a cardiovascular workout, self-defense, and will help to increase your speed and coordination. It's a great way to get fit and focused, and increase your self-confidence. We strive to help you develop physically and mentally, offering not just physical fitness, but also a sense of well being and community. Adult Kung Fu classes are kept separate from the kids classes.
At the school, you will find supportive instructors and senior students ready to welcome you into our class. Our instructors are specially picked by Master Liu based on their skills and their ability to teach. We are very proud of the environment at our school, in which everyone is supportive and we all help each other to learn and progress together in our training.
The kung fu curriculum starts with many open hand forms and basic simple self defense techniques. As you progress, the forms and defense techniques become a bit more complex, but they build upon the basic foundation of the early movements. Eventually the student will progress onto weapons and weapon fighting sets, such as the staff, broadsword, straight sword, spear and even more. Since the Shaolin temple was a "university" of martial arts, there are innumerable techniques and weapons contained in this system for our students to become proficient in.
"Kung Fu" & Wu Shu
Gong Fu or Wushu is a collective term in Chinese meaning Martial Arts. But Kung Fu or Gongfu is in fact can be a colloquialism meaning skills, accomplishments completely non-related to Martial Arts.
Today's Wushu often in the west refers to modernized sports Wushu, which in Chinese literal equivalent of "Chinese martial art" would be Zhongguo wushu.
Kungfu at our institute is traditional Wushu which is a traditional Chinese combat sport, holistic healing as well as an art form, all of which emphasize both internal and external aspects of martial arts, with combat fighting movements as its main contents. It has two main categories: routine exercises and free combat fighting as its forms. Wushu, a time-honored sport in China, traces to as early as the clan community in primitive societies (before 2600 B.C.). Kungfu is a more familiar general term for Chinese traditional Martial Arts, especially Shaolin Kungfu.
Kungfu has form routines, and combat fighting such can be practiced in Kungfu pairing, defense and offense fighting as well as Sanshou/Sanda and Qinna-Shuaijiao.
"Shaolin Kung Fu" (Gong Fu)
- "Shaolin Kung Fu" (Gong Fu) inherited by the Shaolin Institute, was evolved from the over 1500- year old Shaolin Temple, China which in fact is the actual practice of Chan freedom of mind and freedom of body movements expressed in Kung Fu form. Shaolin KungFu applies thousands of bodily motions to express our minds, our emotions and our thoughts.
- Shaolin Kung Fu is for attaining harmony, to increase an individual’s health, mental attitude and encourage a deeper awareness and focus. We also strive to have our students become positive community representatives. This begins with the instructor’s attitude towards teaching and towards their students. You will be encouraged in every step along the way to make sure of your progress.
- Shaolin represents traditional Chan culture, symbolize the ancient way of loyalty and integrity and a way of life that leads to inner freedom of thinking and freedom of thoughts and freedom of expressions.
- Today's Shaolin Kung Fu practice is no pastime but the most serious path in life. Kungfu is a Chan way of life, meditation in Chan to recover our true-self to be outgrown, our ego.
- Shaolin Kung Fu is a Chan way of life in practice, a step-by-step body and mind experience of meditation, of mindfulness and tough physical motions, along with a complete change of the accustomed life. Shaolin Kungfu is Chan in reality like "boiling oil over a blazing fire". If we wish to travel in depth in Kungfu, to have enlightenment in Chan, we must go through scorching experience before the truth of Kungfu Chan smiles upon us. It is not an easy task.
- Through the expression of Shaolin Chan Kungfu meditation of infinite motion, we see the infinite possibility in life and we discover the third eye we have all forgotten we have. We see our sub- consciousness filled with countless possible images, so as to provide us power to see into the nature of our own being that may lie hidden.