Tai Chi (Taiji)
Tai Chi is becoming more and more popular in the United States every day.It is considered an "internal" or "soft" martial art. Tai Chi or Tai Ji, the full term is "Tai Chi Chuan" or Tai Ji Quanis is translated as "Supreme Ultimate Boxing". This is one of the oldest forms of internal Kung Fu.Although primarily practiced today as a "moving meditation". It is wonderful exercise form for improving Qi balance, circulation, concentration and relaxation. Tai Chi is, in origin, a method of fighting. Tai Chi is one of the three internal martial arts of China. The difference between internal and external arts has been debated widely. It can be said that the internal arts are more concerned with how the body controls and generates inner strength and internal and external energy. The differences don't mean much, however, because at the highest levels of any martial art tends to reach the same realm of Qi. It is practiced for many reasons, including improving health and breathing, helping to calm your mind through meditation.Harvard University Article
Researchers at Harvard University published that growing evidence has demonstrated that mind-body Tai Chi practice, which originated in China as a martial art, has value in treating or preventing many health problems such as high blood pressure and heart disease. Combined with traditional treatment, Tai Chi appears to be valuable for several medical conditions such as: anxiety, depression, back pain, arthritis, low bone density, breast cancer, heart disease, hypertension, Parkinson's disease, sleep problems, and stroke. Participating in Tai Chi may also help to boost the immune system and improve respiratory-circulatory function. It will also burn calories, drastically improve balance, provide cardiovascular benefits, release stress and prolong both quality and quantity of life.
Through circular motions, Tai Gong exercise serves to improve Qi flow, re-channel Qi, mobilize Qi, increase energy levels, strengthen organs, ligaments and muscles and improves the transportation of oxygen, energy and nutrients for proper healing and body function. In fact, additional studies conducted by UCLA found that older people who practiced Tai chi and Qigong had a much better immune response against any virus.
Tai Gong for Mind-Body Wellness & Healing
- Taigong includes Qi (energy) empowerment and body/mind cleansing, as well as Qi redirecting. It is based on Tao, Taiji and Chan theory, as well as Chinese Medicine. Taigong redirects, unblocks and balances Qi on the right path in the meridian channels and within the organs for wellness and healing.
- Calmness of body and mind, open communication, opens the Qi flow, re-channel the Qi, mobilize Qi and increase energy levels and strengthen the functions of organs, ligaments, and muscles.
- Taigong includes Qi (energy) empowerment and body/mind cleansing, as well as Qi redirecting. It is based on Tao, Taiji and Chan theory, as well as Chinese Medicine. Taigong redirects, unblocks and balances Qi on the right path in the meridian channels and within the organs for wellness and healing. It helps to improve calmness of body and mind, opens the Qi flow, re- channel the Qi, mobilize Qi and increase energy levels and strengthen the functions of organs, ligaments, and muscles. The circulation of Qi from the circulating motions of the body, limbs, joints, and organs, and improves the transportation of Oxygen, energy and nutrients for healing and the bodily function. Taigong will help each individual to bring about the body and mind communication into reality.
- Taigong is a type of Qigong and Tai Chi (Taiji) Combined. The word Qigong breaks into Qi and Gong: Qi = vitality, energy, life force, Gong = practice, cultivate, refine; Qigong = to cultivate and refine through practice one's vitality or life force. Long term practice of Taigong will show you the primary mechanism that is triggered by the practice of Qigong is a spontaneous balancing and enhancing of the natural healing resources in the human system. Over thousands of years millions of people have benefited from these practices believing that improving the function of the Qi maintains health and heals disease.
- In the paradigm of mechanistic Western science, the practice of Qigong triggers a wide array of physiological mechanisms which have profound healing benefits. It increases the delivery of oxygen to the tissues. It enhances the elimination of waste products as well as the transportation of immune cells through the lymph system. And it shifts the chemistry of the brain and the nervous system. You can find a summary of the many physiological mechanisms that are initiated by the practice of Qigong in the Information Center .
Our Tai Chi class is held in a peaceful environment and incorporates Shaolin Qi Gong - breathing exercises - as a warm up and to help everyone to relax. New students will start learning the standard Yang style 24 movement form which is one of the most popular worldwide. From there, we progress onto more traditional forms, such as the Yang 108 movement form, and some short Chen style forms and Yang sword forms.