All classes start and end with the recitation of the Shaolin Student Creed. The Creed reminds us of why we train to improve ourselves, and helps us to keep a positive attitude in all aspects of our training and lives. Only students of the strongest character can achieve a high level in the martial arts. Below is the Student Creed and some of our classroom rules.
Shaolin Taiji Student Creed
1. I will strive to develop myself in positive Qi physically and mentally
2. I will strive to follow the Shaolin & Taiji path to be sincere, respectful, and honorable to strengthen my character to improve my personal and spiritual growth
3. I will strive to develop self-discipline, in order to bring out the best of myself and others
4. I will strive to perfect my body and mind and to use what I have learned constructively and defensively to help myself & others with integrity and never to be abusive and offensive
Shaolin & Taiji Students’ Must
Always salute whenever you enter and depart the school.
Always salute to the Master and instructor whenever you see him/her.
Always keep a positive, energetic and enthusiastic attitude towards anyone in school
Always present your info card when you enter the class
Always show respect to your Master and brothers and sisters.
Always call the Master "Shifu"
Always be ready to love and help your new brothers and sisters with their scheduled program
Always cherish the value of the school by paying your tuition on time.
Always wear your school uniforms in class.
Always wear ranking sashes in class
Always practice diligently, do your best and bring out your most potential.
Always be in focus, concentration, self-control and discipline while in class
Always give advanced written notice for any absence except for documented emergency.
Always be ready to promote the Spirit of Shaolin and Taiji and the Institute
Always be responsible for maintaining a positive and healthy atmosphere in the building and keeping the classroom clean. Cheerfully help the designated cleanup personnel whenever asked.
Code and Principals for Shaolin Students
Preamble: The philosophy of Shaolin Chan and Dao are key to the martial arts we practice. Without it we may become good athletes, however, we strive to be more. We study and practice to perfect our mind, body and sprit. Thus by emphasizing honor, respect and personal integrity we strengthen our character.
Honor and Loyalty
· Always demonstrate total loyalty and honor to Shifu and Shaolin.
· Never Dishonor the Shaolin Temple, the school of Shaolin or the Liu Institute.
· School is family, be always with family.
· Respect Shifu absolutely in school.
· Respect instructors.
· Respect brothers and sisters.
· Respect other people regardless of race or gender, especially the elderly.
· Disrespect no one; bully no one
· Never say disrespectful words.
· Follow Shifu’s instructions at all times: written and oral.
· Study diligently to understand the philosophy and principals of the Shaolin and the Dao.
· Practice Shaolin and Taiji to cultivate the body, mind and spirit.
· Practice Daily
· Practice with high discipline
· Follow the philosophy of Shaolin, Taiji and the Dao
· Be humble and respectful: sincere, honorable, industrious
· Maintain high values and ethics
· Be at peace with yourself and those around you.
· Be tolerant and always maintain self-control
· Exhibit no anger, no over indulgence. Avoid excess.
· Eat right, drink right and balance your life.
· Defend yourself and others to save lives.
· Protect women children the weak and the elderly.
· Never initiate a fight in the street for any reason. Walk away whenever possible.
· Promote health, well-being, and quality of life.
· Never misuse Shaolin Gongfu.
· Avoid any conducts that deter from the Shaolin and Dao Health path
· Help people to achieve more health and awareness.
· Set a goal to help the school.
· Help the school and friends by introducing new students so that they may benefit.
Promote Shaolin spirit for the improvement of mankind